Monday, January 24, 2011

Dusty

I mentioned in this picture that Mirabella chose the easy way out when cleaning her house. I too have chosen the easy way out this week. I'm busy finishing some paintings for an Art Gallery that is showing them for me. I have been touching some of them up as one or two of my creations are not new and I'm finishing the edges of the canvases. I don't know what inspired me to do this drawing ha ha of course I do as it is my way. I did have an odd thought this morning( that has nothing to do with the topic) that I should remove from my china cabinet my Grandmothers cut glass crystal pitcher that she received as a wedding present. Why protect it and hide it away? I will enjoy it and put it in the center of my farm table, shining and reminding me of all of my wonderful ancestors. My Grandmother never had much in the material way but her treasure was my Father. He was the only child and my Grandfather died when my Father was 9 years old. Nana as we called her, worked many jobs to make ends meet from teaching to accounting and being a nanny for others children,not forgetting being a Rosy the riveter during the war. She was at one time a young woman of means and enjoyed the life of a girl growing up in the 1900's. She was very crafty too and painted her wedding china, did needlepoint and studied handwriting in later years. She moved many times from Kansas to Florida to finely ended up in California. We have many items that she carefully protected from her wedding present list. My Mother told me that she gave her the cut glass pitcher and a large bowl that matched. Mom didn't really like Nana and didn't have the same reverence for the items and left the pitcher out in the yard after having flowers in it. I guess as the story goes, Nana quietly brought it in and washed it and put it back where it lived when not being used. I think if it had been me the pitcher would have been in my purse on the way back to where it would be appreciated! But times were different then and that would have not looked good for my Grandmother to take it back. She lived a full life always kept herself busy and I don't remember her ever complaining about anything. I hope I have inherited some of her grace and composer. God knows I try but sometimes I just want to.......we will leave that for your interpretation. So today when I look at the glass picture I will remember the life that was lived many years ago and as I have often wished, wish again I could have know all of my relatives when they were young and experiencing their everyday existence. Would they have laughed at what we find funny? Would we have been friends? That is a question never to be answered....but I still can wonder can't I?

5 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Love her little expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully poignant story and lovely illustration to match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun illo!! and I love the story. It reminded me of what my dad said years ago...he was always going to have his favorite crackers in the house not just when company came...life was too short!

    ReplyDelete